Noise in rear driving me crazy - Page 4 - Hummer H2 Forum: H2 forums

Go Back   Hummer H2 Forum: H2 forums > Hummer H2 Discussion > H2 Technical Discussion
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise

H2Fanatic.com is the premier GMC Hummer Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-05-2003, 07:59 AM   #46
carcrazy

Cool

I was able to fix my squeak without cutting the tab as well.

After taking my truck to the local dealer several times for adjustments that never did work, I decided to try one of those little foam pads that stick to the bottom of your furniture legs to protect hardwood floors. These are available in many shapes and sizes at any hardware store for just a buck or two. Now my squeak is gone!!

Just cut the pad down to the proper size, peel off the adhesive backing, and stick to the inside bottom corner of the rear door.

Problem solved!!!

carcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2003, 06:55 PM   #47
ROravetz

Lightbulb Rear Door Noise

It's funny how no one could address the problem with the noise in the back door. I found the noise and suggested triming the rubber. Coating it with vasoline does work, but in Texas the heat it melts this product and acts as a dirt magnet. This rubber, once collecting dirt, will cause a sand paper effect and ruins the paint in the area of contact. This cure over time will wear through the paint, so enjoy the rust someday. Trimming the rubber eliminate any need for further maintenance. If your going to use a lubricant, try 3m dry silicon spray, this product protects and lubricates the rubber.

Last edited by ROravetz; 12-12-2003 at 07:25 PM.
ROravetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 11:22 AM   #48
FlyGirl

Tried the furniture pad route, but found after driving in the rain, they were soggy and had shifted, again causing the noise. My truck needed the padding on all sides of the mouldings to stop the squeaking, not just the edges.

Last week was just so frustrated with the bandaid solution, that I completely peeled the rubber mouldings off the vehicle. There was a bit of sticky black silicone used under them from the factory, but they came off very easily. Aesthetically, the gap between the body and bumper doesn't look great, so will next experiment with how much trimming of the mouldings is required.

I agree with ROravetz - to completely solve the problem, trim the mouldings.

FlyGirl
Victoria, BC
FlyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 03:43 PM   #49
ROravetz

FlyGirl

Any luck with the trimming?
ROravetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 07:30 AM   #50
BARNETT

trimmed mine over a week ago, and still quiet.
BARNETT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 11:43 PM   #51
desertdave

Talking

Just a note of thanks to ROravetz and those of you who found and reported the source of that damn rear door rattle and the methods of fixing it.

I was so sure the noise was coming from inside the cab that I was ready to start ripping out the interior molding!

Merely lubricating the flanges isn't the long term answer, in my never so humble opinion, because prolonged rubbing is eventually going to rub through the paint under there and that will lead to rust.

Here's how I fixed my H2's rear rattle:
Working the two weather stripping strips off their mounts (this is most easily done starting from the front of the strip and working it up as you work your way to the back) I pulled them off the flange on the bumper they're mounted on and noticed there is a bump or hollow mound on the inside of the strip just above the groove that fits over the flange on the bumper.

Using a sharp knife I used that bump as a guide as I cut, from the inside, along the entire length of the weather strip. That takes about a half inch off the weather strip and does so with a straight line. I might have taken off less but that would have entailed a bunch of measuring and fancy cutting which I didn't have time for. Let's face it, unless you're backing over somebody, nobody's going to be close enough to notice if your weather strips are 3/8 of an inch or 1/2 an inch from the bottom of the frame.

Since the black goo that holds the weather strips on was still gooey, I just reinserted the strips onto the bumper flanges and pressed them down firmly. (Be sure to have the SLANTED end of the strip facing the front of the Hummer when you replace them.) So far they're holding on fine.
desertdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 09:31 PM   #52
Shoepop

Dave, I see you found the site and figured out the fix. Next time I'm down you will have to give me a show and tell. Mark in NM
Shoepop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement