Navigation install [Archive] - Hummer H2 Forum: H2 forums

Navigation install

Bluewater
01-18-2005, 06:55 PM
Has anyone installed the new 2005 navigation in their older 2003-2004 H2? I see a bunch of the radio/nav units on ebay and would like to upgrade mine, I've heard they work with any 2003 H2, that the dealer just has to program the vin number into the radio. Any one have any experience with this?

Serbian Sniper
01-25-2005, 11:28 PM
Is yours a touch screen model? or manual input model? I have recently installed the manual (push button) model into my 2003 H2. The part number for the DVD Navigation system was 15204335, you will require a satellite link cable for your nav system. This piece can be purchased from your dealer when you have them install it. The link cable should run about $150.00, it will take the dealer about 1 hour to install the sytsem. The link cable attaches itself to the back of the radio and then the board portion is mounted to the underside of you dash. Great unit! The only problem is that you can't play any cd's because the dvd navigational disk needs to run when you are using the navigation system. I miss the 6-in dash Cd stereo already! Why can't GM make a dual mode CD/DVD player? this way I can have the best of both worlds. On the manual system you will not have the XM radio capability, I beleive that on the touch screen version you should have access to the XM radio. Hope this helped. :yesnod

DiceMan
02-22-2005, 09:42 PM
Has anyone installed the new 2005 navigation in their older 2003-2004 H2? I see a bunch of the radio/nav units on ebay and would like to upgrade mine, I've heard they work with any 2003 H2, that the dealer just has to program the vin number into the radio. Any one have any experience with this?

Yes, you can install the '05 Nav. I installed the '05 Touch screen Nav, XM tuner and 6 disk CD changer in my '03 H2. The '03's and about half of the '04's have the Lux sound system w/ class II bus. The later '04's and newer has the cheaper Premium sound system. You can tell the difference by the settings selections. If you have "spacious" "driver" "normal" etc. you have the Lux system. If not, you have the Premium system. THEY ARE TWO DIFFERENT INSTALLS. If you have the Lux / class II bus and you're installing a NEW nav (never been previously installed) you do not have to have the VIN programmed. It's like plug n play. When you first turn it on it looks at the VIN & automatically installed it. If it has been installed previously you would have to have the dealer clear the previous VIN before it will work. The '05 Nav is not SUPPOSED TO WORK in '03/early '04's but it does. There are some harness alterations & antenna modifications necessary. It's about a day and a half install doing it yourself. You can piece it together or buy the whole kit from JP Customs http://www.jpcustoms.com/store/customer/product.php?productid=16649&cat=&page= ask for Jason. Mine works Great and I love it. The XM is a must. If I can help more let me know. I can send you some install instructions.

efrainl956
08-28-2005, 05:32 PM
That was pretty good information, it sure helped me. Thanks.