Anyone do their own oil change yet? [Archive] - Hummer H2 Forum: H2 forums

Anyone do their own oil change yet?

JohnS
04-29-2003, 11:44 PM
I'm close to doing my first oil change. Anyone have any H2 specific instructions I should be aware of? So far I'm not even sure of the oil drain plug (I could probably make a fairly accurate guess but I noticed that there are two nuts that look similar to the drain plug on my Corvette. The corvetteforum had great resources for this task - maybe someday this forum can provide the same resouces.

JohnS

03YellowH2
04-30-2003, 05:36 AM
I have yet to change my oil yet, coming up on it myself and will make a note to take pictures and post procedure when I do. Having said that I do have the shop manual and it looks to be very straight forward process. Oil Drain Plug is at bottom of oil pan. Nothing special is noted in the shop manual from a procedure point. Bottom of oil pan must be level in order to drain fully because of internal baffling.

The good news is the filter is the same as the one on the C5. PF-44, or UPF-44. Makes life a little easier for us dual owners.

Couple of other points that might be helpful. Oil Drain Plug tighten to 18lb ft and Oil Filter to 22lb ft.

Hope that helps. If you need anything from the Shop Manual just let me know and I'll do my best to respond.

Later

JohnS
04-30-2003, 05:33 PM
Thanks, the torc values will be helpful. On the Corvette it is recommended to raise the rear about an inch higher that the front to get more oil drained out - do you think this may be neccessary with the H2? Maybe we can just drive the rear tires up on some 2X12's. I am looking forward to doing oil changes without the use of ramps or a jack though.

JohnS

03YellowH2
05-01-2003, 06:11 AM
I checked the Shop Manual because I was thinking the same thing. They don't reference anything other than maintain a level profile for the oil pan when draining. I suspect that the C5 needs the angle because of the flat profile of the oil pan. The H2 looks like it is not the same profile and where the drain plug is a raised rear or front will not help... I would just work on level ground...

JohnS
05-12-2003, 11:04 PM
Update: I just finshed my first oil change - pretty straightforward. My only complaint was the location of the drain plug and oil filter. By design of the H2, these items are tucked away so draining creates a mess. I had oil dripping on the skid rails and skid plates because the oil filter and plug are above these items. I also was a little worried about the two piece dipstick; I hope the lower part never breaks off in the tube! Otherwise, pretty easy - you don't need any ramps or jack stands, just do it where it sits. Plenty of room with a floor creeper too. I went to Mobil 1 synthetic and UPF44 filter.

03YellowH2: Where can I get a shop manual? Do you have the GM Service Manuals? Does it show the locations of the lubrication points? Thanks.

JohnS

03YellowH2
05-13-2003, 05:30 AM
I just ordered mine directly from Helm. www.helminc.com

The set (2 vol) was pretty pricey at $125 but there was little choice as the H2 is to new to find sets in the aftermarket.

REMMUH
05-25-2003, 07:28 AM
After doing my first H2 oil change, I bought the oil change drain plug adapter. The next time I drain my oil and it goes all over the frame and drips everywhere, I will replace the drain plug with the adapter that has a hose attached to it. After that, I will be able to drain my oil "NEATLY" and not have it squirting all over the frame.

I use K&N oil filters # HP-1007. Besides the fact that they are better filters (bought them for $8 each) they also have a 1" socket built-in on the end of the filter that makes it a snap to unscrew.

I changed my oil at 1000 miles with Mobil 1 5W30 oil. Whoever gets my used Hummer someday will be getting one with a well-oiled engine! :) Maybe I'll give it to my son? :p

tfinzel
06-05-2003, 05:14 AM
Get the service manual on 5 Cds. I got my set offf of ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=34222&item=2417935778 or similar auction.

It covers all GM vehicles 1980 -2003 including the H2.

Tom Yellow H2

03YellowH2
06-05-2003, 04:08 PM
Not that it probably matters but these GM manuals on CD's off ebay are usually pirated copies or some clugged together deal.

I purchased one a while back and could never get it to load correctly.

Plus, it's nice just dragging the print version out with me to car w.o having to worry about busting my laptop.

yellow03H2
06-09-2003, 09:32 AM
Where did you get the oil plug adapter?

tfinzel
06-09-2003, 09:47 AM
I got a Fram Sure Drain (SD-4) from Autozone. Works pretty good.

Tom
2003 Yellow H2
2000 DBGM C5

yellow03H2
06-10-2003, 04:15 PM
Thanks for the info. I'm going right now to get one!