electric brake controller [Archive] - Hummer H2 Forum: H2 forums

electric brake controller

H2ohh
12-29-2003, 07:57 PM
I just picked up my new Hummer H2. I forgot to ask the dealer if there is a Hummer Brake controller for operating a trailer with electric brakes.

Does anyone know if there is a special one for the H2 or should I just use one of the standard ones from the local trailer shop?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Phil

Bodacious Black
01-04-2004, 12:47 AM
Just a standard one is fine, The only thing you will need to make a decision on is the wiring. There is a wiring harness kit that you can get from the dealer, THE PROBLEM is that if you have or intend to add a Hummer lite kit, it also uses the same plug on the firewall. So you will need to decide which one to hard wire.

Other than that I would buy the best Digital brake controler you can. I tow a 7000lb Cart Race trailer with no problems. If you pull a long trailer like mine you will need a anti sway kit as the moments of the hummer is short compared to a full size truck. and the swing of the trailer is terrible at best. unless you do it properly.

H2ohh
01-04-2004, 01:12 PM
Thanks for the info. I have lights on the front brush guard. Does that use the same harness? The trailer package is more important to me. I will have to check into it. But I don't have a light bar on top. I definitely want to install a winch. Do you know if the front light wiring uses the same harness?

My trailer is a 16 foot 2 axle utility trailer on which I tow various things. Where do you get an anti sway kit? Is that a GM part or generic trailer shop parts? I have been towing with my Ford King Ranch prior to the Hummer.

Thanks again for the thoughts. I need to do something to get the Hummer ready to tow.

Phil

blue booger
01-04-2004, 07:25 PM
My 04 has lights on the brush guard. It was using the trailer wiring plug. I just unplugged it and plugged in the brake unit. The brakes did not work! I found a blue wire under the shroud of the fender mounted fuse block that was laying loose. Then I noticed the same color wire and connector going to the light on the brush guard. I unplugged the wire going to the lights and plugged it into the loose blue wire. Then the brakes worked.

Also you need a plug from an 03 or newer GM trailer wiring harness. The older ones will plug in but are wired differently.

Good luck.

Al

Brain
04-10-2005, 01:19 PM
I too ran into this problem while wiring my tekonsha prodigy brake controller. I think it is all hooked up correctly now but wont know until I try to pull my trailer. I find it crazy that GM uses the trailer brake plug for the driving lights. Seems to me most people that tow a trailer wil also want to be able to have their lights hooked up. I am going to take mine back to my dealer and ask them to hard wire the lights.

Brain