Noise from exhaust expansion [Archive] - Hummer H2 Forum: H2 forums

Noise from exhaust expansion

LVS
12-09-2003, 01:58 PM
I did not see this mentioned anywhere previously, so I appologize if this has already been asked. Once my H2 has been running the exhaust heats up and starts pinging (very loudly) every few minutes. It continues for about 10-15 minutes once it's shut off until it cools down. It's from the exhaust expanding and contracting. The dealer said this is a know problem and there is no way to fix it. It is getting so loud I can hear it when I'm driving and after I get home and it's in the garage, I can hear it clear through the house. The dealer told me replacing it may only make it worse??? Anyone else have this and had it fixed? How did it get fixed?

So Cal H2
12-09-2003, 06:01 PM
LVS
I had this problem also but not till about 2000 miles. I got under to check it and found the heat shield on top of the muffler is spot welded and started to come off on the corners and edges. the heat exspands and contracts the shield making the noise. I replaced my Exshaust system and the noise is gone. ;)

LVS
12-09-2003, 07:24 PM
Thanks for the info So Cal H2. Did you replace it with the same exhaust or did you upgrade? If you did an upgrade, can I ask what you went with?

So Cal H2
12-09-2003, 07:41 PM
LVS
I replaced the exshaust with a Flowmaster Cat Back System. I Had good luck in the past with them. I notice alot of H2 owners like Corsa.
http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/pdfs/NP200_ummer_17376.pdf

LVS
12-10-2003, 10:27 AM
Thanks for the info.

butcherh2
12-14-2009, 04:51 PM
Mine always rumbled down when I let off the throttle. I pulled my Banks muffler saturday and installed a 3" flowmaster (http://www.racepages.com/brand/flowmaster.html) 70. Just got tired of the noise.

Mistriu fase
08-28-2014, 02:02 AM
Nice suggestion about this issue,i like it if you can,t do this so keep your engine clean and also the engine oil to change it on the time,its a main important weeds of this noise from exhaust.