Clunk/Thunk in rear end [Archive] - Hummer H2 Forum: H2 forums

Clunk/Thunk in rear end

89vette
12-03-2003, 02:36 PM
Hi all. I have a clunk or thunk type noise in the rear of the vehicle that happens about 2-3 seconds after I start moving from a stop. The dealer told me this is normal but I know better. It does it about 70% of the time. Anyone have this problem and have their dealter repair it?

fino69
12-08-2003, 03:01 PM
Hi
I have the same noise if you know more let me know
I live in Austria and no one knows about this car
Best Regards

Fino69

89vette
12-09-2003, 06:47 AM
I will help all I can. I am pretty much convinced that the problem is the slip yoke that comes out of the back of the transfer case. This yoke slides back and forth as the rear suspension moves. I had a Silverado pick-up truck that had the EXACT same noise. They installed an updated yoke and the problem went away. Currently there is no updated yoke for the H2. I am going to take mine off when I have time and grease the splines with some good graphite grease. I have heard that most of the time this will fix the problem for the short term. If if does then I know this is the problem. The dealer verified the noise and said it was a normal condition. What a bunch of A-Holes.

fino69
12-09-2003, 09:06 AM
thanks i will check
regards from Austria

89vette
12-22-2003, 07:00 AM
Removed the driveshaft and applied Lubriplate 3000 grease to the slip yoke splines. Problem gone for now.

Rbohno
12-23-2003, 07:35 AM
I took mine in to service for that and the service manager told that was normal . He said that it is a very short hesitation from the transmission sending power to all the wheels since it is full time 4 wheel drive.

RB

89vette
12-23-2003, 08:15 AM
That is driveline lash and that is not what I had. Mine is deninately the slip yoke. It is a VERY common problem on the GMT800 series drivetrains. My Silverado had the same problem. I think GM chooses to ignore it.

MilWhippedHumR
12-31-2003, 08:13 AM
NEWSFLASH, Your Dealers Are Fooling You!!!
There is a GM service bullitan about this, It IS a slip yoke problem, they are supposed to replace the slip yoke, drive shaft, and the rear transfer case half, it's an expensive repair (thank God for warranty) and it can take 2-3 days to get the parts and put them in, but this is GM's cure for the problem.

OR....we have seen a couple of trucks come in that needed to have the rear parking brake cables either replaced or adjusted, they might be sticking and releasing

:flag

Discofever
12-31-2003, 01:09 PM
MilWhippedHumR

Is this common issue with all H2's 2003's & 2004's?

Or is there a build date that this problem was known about and corrected on future build units?

Do you happen to know the bulletin number?