Poor Accel W/ Airaid Filter. [Archive] - Hummer H2 Forum: H2 forums

Poor Accel W/ Airaid Filter.

AlexSoCal
11-16-2003, 09:21 PM
I Installed the Airaid intake system this morning and noticed throttle hesitation right away, feels sluggish until it hits 4000 RPM, it doesn't rev like it did before with stock air filter, I was looking for an upgrade and got worse, I switched back to stock and power is back! .

Once more switched to Airaid and same problem is back
I followed all the manufacturers instructions, even disconnecting - pole of battery (computer reset I think).

Has any one had this kind of problem?:confused1

Mikei
11-18-2003, 10:34 PM
Alex,
I had the same problem with a Volant air intake. I did everything including disconnecting the battery to reset computer. I even had dealer look at it and it was throwing MAF codes. With that I put back on stock ir intake and power was back. There is a tech bulletin about water ingestion when using aftermarket intakes. Put a Corsa exhaust on and notice the exhaust note and increased MPG.
Mike

AlexSoCal
11-19-2003, 08:29 PM
I already have an aftermarket exhaust (Borla), and before the air filter upgrade power was much better, then I decided to get more air in since the exhaust was getting more air out.

I talked to a tech @ Airaid and he said that I need to disconnect the battery for 1hr.min., and drive it for two days before the computer makes the necessary adjustments to compensate for the extra air.

My dealer is taking a look at this problem since it was them who sold me the Airaid.

keep you guys posted!.

CNYNRO
11-19-2003, 10:59 PM
I was thinking about putting an aftermarket air filter on but now I'm having second thoughts.

Mike, did you have the Volant on for a few days to let the system re-calibrate like they're saying to do with the Airraid? Did you change the MAF at the same time as the filter? I wonder if the water ingestion is with filters that aren't sealed. The Volant box is sealed so it should be fine in that respect.

Alex, did you put your headers on at the same time as the exhaust? Was there a big difference in power and mileage with them?

Mikei
11-19-2003, 11:14 PM
CNYNRO,
I did have it on for a few days, was having problems, went to dealer & it was throwing MAF codes so I removed it. Went back to stock. I tried it one more time after talking to manufacturer with no success. Other people have had issues with aftermarket air intakes and my dealer is also cautioning people when purchasing. The tech bulletin regarding aftermarket air intakes does not make any distinction between sealed or non sealed when it comes to water ingestion. No I did not change the MAF or intake tube. In my opinion keep your stock air intake and get other performance upgrades.

AlexSoCal
11-20-2003, 11:41 PM
Yes, I installed the headers & exhaust at the same time,power was very noticeable, I don't know about mileage because I was on the gas very happy with the sound and acceleration.

The biggest improvement I have noticed so far was replacing the stock clutch/ fan with a electric fan from flex-lite, noise is way down my A/C cools much faster and cooler than before, I noticed about .5 to 1 MPG improvement and much better throttle response. :)

NJ H2
11-24-2003, 02:23 AM
Originally posted by AlexSoCal

The biggest improvement I have noticed so far was replacing the stock clutch/ fan with a electric fan from flex-lite, noise is way down my A/C cools much faster and cooler than before, I noticed about .5 to 1 MPG improvement and much better throttle response. :)

Where did you purchase the flex-lite fan?
TIA

AlexSoCal
11-26-2003, 12:18 AM
4 Wheel Parts, they are in Compton Ca.
or try online.http://www.flex-a-lite.com/auto/index.html

CNYNRO
12-01-2003, 06:32 PM
Alex,

Which model did you install? Was it a major ordeal with modifications or did it bolt right in? Ohhhh so much I want to do with this truck but so little time!!

I never realized it could add so much power by putting in an electric.:crazy

AlexSoCal
12-01-2003, 11:05 PM
The model is 290.(Hummer H2)

It was relatively easy to install, no modifications except the trans cooler tubes were in the way a little, I tried bending them a little to make room but was afraid of breaking the coupling w/ the radiator (plastic), so I tied them w/ zip ties.

You also have to remove the front skidplate to gain access to the bottom of the radiator.( A wheeled cart is very helpful)

Removing the original fan was a little tricky, this alone took me about 45 min! you need a little help from a hammer to release it from the large nut. The original shroud has a couple of sliders, comes out with no trouble.

The wiring is very simple, the one that that took me a little longer was the wire for the A/C compressor.

In all it took me 2-3 hr. and a couple of beers to install by myself.

I can e-mail or post pics if needed.:cool

fnff3354
12-02-2003, 01:49 PM
On the Airaid installation, we have sold and/or installed over 700 Airaids on Hummer H2's as well as Escalades etc. with the same 6.0 liter engine. On the dyno, you lose 3 - 5 horsepower on average at 2500 rpm compared to stock. The engine is breathing better than the computer is telling it that it is. At 4000 rpm or above, the average gain with an Airaid is 14 horsepower. There is no miss or hesitation then. That GULP you feel at low rpm is too much air thus causing a flutter in air fuel mixture. 9 out of 10 H2's don't have the problem becasuse he computer retrains itself almost instantly. BUT...as Airaid Inc. will tell you, the computer needs an upgrade either by training itself by disconnecting the negative for an hour OR by adding the Predator Programmer. With it you can add 15% more fuel and 2 degrees more timing. This generates an additional 22 horsepower. With Bassani exhaust, Poweraid throttlebody spacer, JBA headers and the Airaid w/ Predator the H2's generate a very streetable 61 horsepower increase. We have done over 60 "Heavy Breather" installs with a 100% success rate. we have sold over 100 additional units. No returns...100% satisfaction. :smash

AlexSoCal
12-02-2003, 07:41 PM
Hey Doc;

Thanks for the info!

I'm getting a predator programmer, I also have headers and a Borla exhaust, the settings that you recommend will compensate for this setup also?

The dealer said to get a programmer but didn't help with settings. :(

GhostRider
12-03-2003, 05:20 AM
"On the dyno, you lose 3 - 5 horsepower on average at 2500 rpm compared to stock. The engine is breathing better than the computer is telling it that it is. At 4000 rpm or above, the average gain with an Airaid is 14 horsepower. "

Is this 3 - 5 loss after learning/programming ?

Since very little of my driving would be at 4K RPM, I would rather have a little more throttle response down in the lower revs. I would hope for a HP gain across the board not just in the higher RPM range :banghead

fnff3354
12-03-2003, 06:26 AM
The Predator will cure 99% of your problems [If the factory computer doesn't adjust enough to satisfy your tastes] It allows you to adjust air fuel and timing but they usually know best.

When you install the Predator, just plug it in and follow the prompts. TRY THEIR PROGRAM BEFORE YOU DO ANY CUSTOM ADJUSTMENTS. We have sold over 200 of them for H2's. The only ones that we ever "customized" were for our own Hummers with superchargers. I also played a little on my 6.0 Escalade and picked up 2 horsepower additional with custom timing.

The culprit is called Torque Management, which good ole' GM puts in there to prevent detenation. If you have the car on a timing light and punch the gas it RETARDS before advancing. This is what you feel as a dead spot. The Airaid etc. lets the engine breath so well, it magnifies the factory theft of power...till you reprogram or let the factory one adjust itself.

The 3 - 5 horsepower loss at 2500 goes away with the Predator. You are actually 1 -2 horsepower higher at 2500; 6 hp more at 3000; 14 more at 4000 and 18 - 20 gain at 4800.

The Airaid, JBA Headers, Bassani Xhaust and programmer makes the H2 go like it should.

I hope this helps. We are available 6 days a week for your emails or calls. My direct office line is 814-227-2427. Our store and shop is 814-764-6002.

:cheers