Air Suspension Failure? [Archive] - Hummer H2 Forum: H2 forums

Air Suspension Failure?

siglo
09-07-2003, 11:44 AM
Hello,

What happens if the air suspension fails for any given reason?
would an H2 equipped with Air Suspension work normally like a normal H2 without one? or would it look silly, annoying to drive (like a range rover with failed hydraulics) and must be taken for repairs ASAP?

I'm concerned about this because of the very high temperature during the summer, about 122F, where I live (Kuwait).. this tends to make all kinds of crap not work properly in automobiles in general :P

speaking about high temperatures.. for owners of the H2 in hot places (Texas maybe?).. how is the Air conditioner? is it sufficient for an SUV of this size?

drmiles
09-07-2003, 07:25 PM
I traded a tahoe for the h2. The Tahoe had dual AC. Hummer is having trouble keeping it cold inside in the 90's. Don't think it will make it in 100's.

Air suspension only raises or levels the rear. If it went out then it would stay level until you added weight in the back.

Jerry

siglo
09-08-2003, 01:11 AM
Thanks Jerry :)

Good new about the Air Suspension..
Bad news though about the AC though :(

Jeff
09-08-2003, 05:05 AM
Hello Jerry,

Traded a Tahoe for the H2 huh? I am in the exact same boat. I have a fully loaded tahoe and am within weeks of trading it off for a 2003 H2. Are you happy with your new toy? How does it compare to your old Tahoe?

Jeff

GhostRider
09-08-2003, 06:56 AM
There was a post a few weeks ago from someone with the air suspension who had a problem with it stopping working and that his H2 looked kind of funny with one side much lower than the other. It failed and didn't level out. He did say it had no effect on his ride nor handling.

If I ever get my H2, I don't plan on getting the air suspension.
IMHO, it's just something else that can go wrong and I see no need of it for me :smash

And as an aside, the H2 I have test driven had no problem keeping its cool :cool both in front and in the second seat on a humid in the 90's day here in the D.C. area :flag

Polaknuts
09-09-2003, 10:31 PM
I went from a LX 470 to the H2. I dont have a single complaint about the A/C. I live in South Texas and the temp. has gotten well over 100 F. By the way,I keep my house at 71 so you know that I dont like to sweat.

H2Bill
09-10-2003, 10:55 AM
I live in an extremely hot area where the temps get in the 110 to 118 range and it works great. No complaints at all.

drmiles
09-13-2003, 05:08 AM
Well maybe something is wrong with my AC. It keeps it cool if the recirculate is on and the temp on 60.. The Tahoe would get cold on those settings. I live in a cool dry place called Houston, TX (ha,ha).

Regarding H2 compared to the Z71 03 Tahoe. I love the H2, It handles like a motor home and I am fixated on the 10 mpg. However I bought it because of the potential of lifting, adding bigger tires and playing in the mud. Still trying to decide whether a 5 - 6 in lift and 37 tires will be enough. Maybe a 10" and 40 tire. Just don't want that monster truck look. Off roading without winching everytime is my goal...

stripclubgm
09-14-2003, 05:51 AM
going from a suburban to the h2 seems like an ac dream. this thing stays waaaay more cool then the burban and actually cools off fairly quick. im in sacramento and we were over triple digits for three weeks strait last month, the ac did just fine here.

AZHummer
09-14-2003, 07:15 PM
Hi Guys, if you lose the air in the back the rear will ride on the bumper stops ( used to limit travel ). SO the guy who said leveling only is incorrect. I know cause I let the air out by leaving the air hose hooked up to the compressor as I was moving. The rear went to the stops and I was a low rider.

XE1
09-18-2003, 10:59 PM
Love my H2 but the A/C is not as cool as my Land Cruiser. Also, a couple of times, the dash diagnostics said that "Air Suspension needs service". Turning off the engine and turning it back on, the message goes away. Don't know what's up with that.

Bao

Discofever
10-21-2003, 08:33 PM
Hello ALL,

I'm new to this forum and am also an H2 owner as of to weeks ago...

I wanted to address the problem that "drmiles" is having with his A/C Unit... drmiles, next time you go to the dealer, have them change out the "low pressure switch" this will solve your problem. The replacement takes less then 1 min. This is common problem among the entire GM family on 2003 to present.

Your A/C will be as good as new....

john m
10-21-2003, 09:12 PM
I had the same problem on an '03 Avalanche, ended up with a bad compressor that was replaced under warranty (on the day after the hottest day of 2003 where I live:banghead )

HUMMERMAN
11-01-2003, 08:23 AM
A faulty Air Suspension often times will drop the rear end of the vehicle. A faulty suspension on any vehicle is never considered safe, so you should always have it corrected immediately.

Jimmy Epolito
HUMMER Of MARIETTA