Unbearable rattling noise from top right hand corner of windshield in the cabin [Archive] - Hummer H2 Forum: H2 forums

: Unbearable rattling noise from top right hand corner of windshield in the cabin

Leathercoptom
11-24-2003, 03:43 PM
I have a very serious noise problem in the cabin of with my brand new H2 Hummer with all the fixings which I purchased from Hummer France, an authorized Hummer dealer in Paris. I reside 550 miles away from Paris in the city of Pamplona, Spain, Hummer France is the closest authorized dealer from my home, and I haven’t been able to resolve the problem over the phone with them. I have not been able to reach Customer Service of Hummer International over the phone(toll free numbers don’t connect from abroad).

The problem:

Once the H2 reaches a speed of 60 miles per hour on the highway a constant dry vibration of something in the top right hand corner above the windshield begins, probably provoked by the wind, and extends throughout the whole front of the cabin along the windshield. The noise is constant, dry and insistant. The noise is unbearable, irritating, and loud. It is becoming impossible to bare journeys over 30 minutes on the highway with the H2.

When I approached the service technitian at Hummer France over the phone about the problem they suggested I have my local car technitians fill the gap between the widshild rubber and the cabin (there was a ¼ inch gap) with a specific silicon. I had this done, the gap has been eliminated and the problem persists.

I thoroughly enjoy owning the H2 in every other aspect but the noise level in the cabin over 60 miles an hour makes the vehicle a “sour lemon”. I can not recommend it to anybody at the momment. I beg Hummer USA give me a solution to this problem or I will have to resolve to selling the vehicle. One can not do highway driving with this vehicle.

Leathercoptom
11-25-2003, 12:38 PM
Yes, 24 hours and no reply from Hummer USA

FlyGirl
11-25-2003, 02:31 PM
Hey Tom:

I'm sure everyone here can relate to your frustration. Many of us have experienced problems that took much time and effort to solve.

From reading other posts and personal experience, it's obvious the US and CDN Hummer dealers are jumping through hoops to ensure customer satisfaction. I'm truly amazed at my dealership's commitment to it. I also live far from our dealer; trekking many hours and a ferry in the event something occurs.

I'm not saying be patient - far from it - bug the hell out of them - vent your frustrations here... but don't let it ruin the love of your amazing new machine... that would be very sad!

All of us '03 H2 owners are risk takers - to own the first year of any new vehicle is a bit mad, really. We're the guinea pigs! So, if it's any consolation, know that you're not alone...

FlyGirl
Victoria, BC
Canada

---------------------------
03 H2 Pewter

Leathercoptom
11-25-2003, 04:42 PM
Hey Flygirl,

Thanks for your reply and your message. You make a lot of sense.
A real lot of sense. I will take note and practice your advice.

You had to be a British Columbian. I am a Vancouverite and I fell in love with the H2 at first sight on Granville Island in Vancouver during a visit on October of 2002.

Once again, thank you very kindly for your message.

Regards,

Tom

Leathercoptom
11-27-2003, 11:40 AM
72 hours and no reply from Hummer USA

svennw
11-28-2003, 11:13 PM
I have the exact same scenario. I have tried putting shipping tape on the exterior to try and locate the source of the wind noise and subsequent dry rattle to little avail. I can make it subside say 50% but not eliminate it all together. It appears to be a bad seal of the windshield or a leak making its way through the outside windshield molding mostly near the roll of molding in the corner at the top right of the passengers side.

I am continuing to attempt to find the source before i get the silicon sealant out.

Any help out there would be appreciated.

:banghead

So Cal H2
11-29-2003, 09:39 AM
Leathercomptom
I had a freeway rattle also and found out that it was the roof rack rattleing at 50+mph I moved the racks forward of the little arrows on the rails and tighten the knobs down and the rattle is gone. Might not be the same problem you are having but something to look into. Also check this link it may help. Good Luck

http://www.elcova.com/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=2826088551&f=5106011751&m=2276072744&r=5626099744#5626099744

Leathercoptom
11-30-2003, 02:05 PM
Thanks for your suggestion. I already tried that and the noise persists.

Last Friday I took the H2 to my local Opel dealer here in Pamplona (the closest Hummer dealer is in Paris almost 600 km. away). I hope they can control the noise althought they are not familiar with the vehicle.

I still have not got any news from USA Hummer International Customer Service. It is been 6 days now and NO WORD!!! This is very sad.

Svennw please keep me informed as to the solutions you are trying and I will do the same. Hopefully I'll have some news from my local Opel dealeer tomorrow.

Tom

CNYNRO
11-30-2003, 06:57 PM
I have the same problem with my H2. It has done it since it was new. Whenever I get up to highway speeds, especially with a head wind, it sounds like that black plastic/rubber strip that covers the gap at the top of the windshield is flapping and slapping on the vehicle. Mine sounds more like it's in the center of the windshield.

I've looked at the stripping and it appears to be in place. May just be a bad design. Svennw, the shipping tape sounded like a good idea. I may try that.

Keep us posted if you figure this out.

Leathercoptom
12-01-2003, 04:07 AM
Hey guys, It sounds like there is three of us with the problem nowon this forum. One in New Mexico, the other in Dallas and me in Spain. The exact same problem. Doesn't your local Hummer dealer attend you? Isn't Hummer in the USA giving you a solution? My Hummer dealer is in Paris but you guys are at home. Is Hummer's customer service that bad? even back home in good old America?. Or haven't you guys approached your dealer about this problem? Please give me some feedback. I've written to Hummer threee times over the last week and I still don't even have aknowledgement of my complaints. The're Customer Sevice Lines don't accept phone calls from abroad. A great car but very loosy customer service will fuck the product's life.

CNYNRO
12-01-2003, 07:17 PM
I haven't taken it in for this yet. My dealership is building a new facility closer to where I live and I plan to take it in then. I need to have them look at that and the driver's side mirror. It's loose at the joint where it rotates in flat to the door. I've heard of others with this problem.

The slapping noise on your truck must be much worse than mine. My noise doesn't seem to be getting worse but it still should not be there.

svennw
12-01-2003, 10:41 PM
I MAY have found a solution.

I taped every inch of the windshield, molding and rack ends and still could not stop this noise. The reduction I noted earlier to 50% or so was a result of the downwind versus against the wind driving.

After hearing about the rack movement I decided to check the rack tightness and I was getting some play in the crossbars when I lifted straight up on them. I pealed back the rubber seal on the top of the cross bar to see 2 star screws size 20 and proceeded to tighten these down like they should have been. Some took so many turns that I thought they were stripped but they were just plain loose loose loose.

I took the H2 out tonight and got it up to 80 and heard no noise at all for the first time since I have had the H2. Keep in mind that there are a lot of elk out this time of year and not too many places where one feels comforatable getting an H2 up to 80 mph at night with 1500 pund animals lurking.

I have a freeway drive Thursday night to Albuquerque and will know difinitively if I've found something then.

You might check those screws and crossbars again just to see.

Will let you know more Thursday evening.

:smash

svennw
12-02-2003, 09:57 PM
I could not stand the suspense so I drove 20 miles to a flat stretch of road and got it up to 85 and the noise was still there albeit not quite as bad as it had been but nevertheless it was not quiet like it should be.

Back to the drawing board.
:banghead

H2Bill
12-03-2003, 11:28 AM
svennw,
I tightened mine down last night. Keep us posted if you come up with anything new.
Thanks,
Bill

sealdoc
12-06-2003, 12:24 AM
I recently noticed the same thing in my Hummer on a road trip from San Antonio to Kansas City. My Hummer dealer was unable to find the cause. I too have written Hummer to see if there is a solution to the problem as it is quite annoying.

svennw
12-09-2003, 12:17 AM
I continued to look at the marker light at the front of the roof rack to see if when they brought my XM antenna through the right roof pilar and out the marker wire canal if it had some slack in it that was allowing it to rattle inside the pilar as that sounded like where it was.

I did tighten the wire a bit by pulling on it but did not want to tug too hard. I then took a better look at the molding that lines the door and actually lines the roof pilar on the passenger side. I had a funny little buckle as if there was a bit too much molding for the perimeter it was to cover. So I looked at the other pilar on the drivers side and it looked different in that it was under the pilar plastic and not over it like it was on the passsengers side.

So I began to tuck it under the plastic pilar edge and low and behold it snapped into place all the way up and down the pilar. No it fits better and clearly will provide a sound proof and air proof seal that was not there the way the molding was overlapping the plastic insteads of being tightly tucked underneath the plastice pilar.

I suspect that the XM radio installers left the molding less that tightly sealed. I can imagine if you have roof mounted lights that someome may have done the same on your H2's. Maybe it just doesn't remain sealed well.

I traveled some this evening and even though there was a skiff of snow fall tonight I could not resist taking my speed up to 80 mph to see if I heard the dreaded "NOISE". Nothing. So just to make sure I wasn't traveling downwind I took it on up to 90 mph. Nothing still.

I am feeling pretty good that this was my problem and encourage you to take a look at the door molding that abutts the roof pilar and make sure it goes under the plastic and you can see the edge of the plastic pilar with the molding going inside that. This could be a solution for some of you.

I can post some pic if I have not made this clear enough.

Discofever
12-09-2003, 10:33 AM
svennw

Thank you for your observation, I also noticed the noise at 70 mph. Kind of a "slapping" noise.

I took your adivse and noticed the rubber molding on the passenger side was loose on the A pilliar. I tucked the rubber molding underneath the plastic molding and the noise is gone.

Great help!:thumbs

CNYNRO
12-09-2003, 10:41 PM
Svennw,

I haven't been able to try to see if the "tighten the torx head screws on the roof rail bars" method has stopped the noise yet. I tightened them but if the noise is still there when I run it up to cruising altitude I'll check out your other remedy. Hell I'll probably do it anyway.

90 mph around elk AND snow?!! You're nothing, if not passionate about exorcising this noise. :D

Thanks for the info!

svennw
12-11-2003, 12:38 AM
I made a road trip today and still have some noise at 80mph against the wind. Damn it! Same slapping sound.

I take my car in for some programming on the supercharger soon and thy are going to have to tackle it at the dealer. Will let the group know how it goes.

Not that passionate, I drove 20 miles of the mountain to an area where there are not many elk. Would have some major rattles if one of those beasts got in the way.

CNYNRO
12-12-2003, 06:32 PM
I think we may have an epidemic. I checked the rubber door weatherstripping on my truck. The drivers side looked fine. So I went to the passengers side and opened the door to check it out. The rubber weatherstripping going up the pillar was tucked in for about 2 inches at the top and 2 inches at the bottom. The middle 10-12 inches was completely hanging off. It almost looked like another grab handle. I tucked it back in and it stayed in just fine.

Evidently one of the guys doing that job on the assembly line needs a little more training.:banghead

stripclubgm
12-12-2003, 06:33 PM
mine just started about 5 months after purchase, but sounds like the drivers side. I was wondering if maybe it was the air intake cap as holdint the windshield from inside made no difference at all. hope someone figures it out.

CNYNRO
12-12-2003, 06:35 PM
Leathercoptom,

Have you tried any of these remedies to see if it fixes your problem?

Hummed
12-14-2003, 05:04 PM
I had the same problem twice now, mine was simple:

LEAVES STUCK IN THE BLACK WEATHERSTRIPPING ABOVE THE WINDSHIELD

Stand up out of your sunroof (as if you were in a limo) and look in front of the windguard. I'll bet you'll see leaves stuck in the weatherstripping just above the windshield.

svennw
12-29-2003, 10:52 PM
I tried everything I could, taping, took both a pillars apart, removed rack etc and still had the slapping noise.

I had to take my H2 in for some mods and idicated that I wanted the noise fixed and my service guy indcated it is a known issue and there has been a service bulletin posted for it.

I will find out if it is fixable by an individual when I pick it up. Did not have time to discuss it at the time I took it in.

Will keep you posted.

:party

H2Bill
12-30-2003, 11:05 AM
Have you picked it up yet? What's the fix??

svennw
12-30-2003, 11:36 PM
I pick it up tomorrow but I spoke with the service rep today and he indicated the service bulletin is for wind noise cause by a bad seal at the A pilar and molding area. He said the fix is to put a bead of silicon to hold the molding airtight.

I will get a better look at it tomorrow and give you a more difinitive answer if it solves my problem and where exactly the bead runs.

:smash

MilWhippedHumR
12-31-2003, 08:22 AM
Hey everyone, my name is Jason and I work for a Hummer dealer in the Milwaukee area. This problem is one that we see on a pretty regular basis, GM did release a bullitan on it, so if your Hummer dealer can't find whats wrong, then there is something wrong with them. The problem IS the windshield moldings. The earlier 2003's had a cheap soft plastic molding that flapped like crazy, that may be your problem, but the newer ones had a similar noise, The Hard plastic moldings that replaced the soft ones had too much of a gap between the windshield and the seal, sometimes we replace the molding, other times, we remove it, build up a layer or two of double sided tape and re-install the molding. Normally this cures the slapping sound. If you still hear a lot of wind noise, I got news for ya....your driving a brick....these are NOT aerodynamic vehicles, and really not intended to go 80 MPH especially not silently. LOTS of wind noise should probably be expected.

H2Bill
12-31-2003, 12:30 PM
Thanks for the info! I am still trying to deal with a rattle that sounds like it is over the drivers head and to the rear a bit@##@! Any ideas on that one? It seems that if I open my sun roof (tilted up) it will suppress some of the noise.